Friday, 6 April 2012

Eau-de-colognial

Out of ideas for mash-ups or the next big thing?

For the A-Z Challenge I'm posting 26 suggestions for new genres. How serious each is I leave you to decide; I have my eye firmly on this debate.

Eau-de-colognial

A study in which one established gender - or a similar subset - adopts a role dominated by another. This may be a response to an environmental factor or a phase in a perceived struggle and may trigger multiple forms of conflict and exploitation, many of these subtle and largely unrecognised. The narrative is likely intimate, and tragicomic in nature, while hinting at the epic or even mythic; redemption is a common theme. You could think of it as Edward Said's Orientalism meets Doris Lessing meets The Man Who Fell To Earth.
_

2 comments:

Tallgeese said...

If you like Lessing, the Second Foundation reading group in the Twin Cities will be doing a session on "Canopus in Argos" (aka the Shikasta series) this summer.

Porky said...

I'm too far away more's the pity, but I know little enough about that series that I'd be interested. And if I was nearby I also know whose doorsteps I'd be turning up on to beg a few games...

By coincidence it's the 50th anniversary of The Golden Notebook this year and there's an interesting article on it in the UK press today, here. Well worth reading right through, and for what it's worth I agree with the view Rachel Cusk takes that it's still a powerful book today, and maybe more so than it was then. Lessing has a lot to say to us for sure.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...