Thursday, 19 April 2012

Open sewer

Out of ideas for mash-ups or the next big thing?

For the A-Z Challenge I'm posting 26 suggestions for new genres. How serious each is I leave you to decide; I have my eye firmly on this debate.

Open sewer

A window on a setting in which the basis for one or more of our taboos is non-existent, unknown or defied, with a lesser or greater degree of justification. From the perspective of the reader some aspects of protagonists, locations or events may be unsympathetic, grotesque or nauseating, with these likely emphasised as the raison d'être of the form; occasionally the work will be execrable horror, or bring realisation. You could think of it as Rabelais or the Swift of Orwell's essay meets exploitation cinema meets biopower.
_

5 comments:

Trey said...

I think I've already played in games where the protagonists were unsympathetic. :) But I guess that wasn't actually a design feature of the setting.

Porky said...

Yep, that is pretty general. It might not be a design feature in every case, but setting can send signals on character scope and maybe directly or indirectly even player behaviour. It's a very interesting subject for sure. This post yesterday at The Signe of the Frothing Mug gets at that a little in a way a lot of readers here might find interesting, re space marines.

ArmChairGeneral said...

I would like to see Space Cavemen Pulp Noir.

ArmChairGeneral said...

http://armchairgeneral1.blogspot.com/2012/04/porky-over-at-porkys-revenge-hehe-to-go.html

Porky said...

I really think you're on to something with that, and it fits the open sewer concept too.

For everyone else reading, here's a direct link.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...