Monday 10 October 2011

Looking down and going on

I'm sure a few of you have already seen this, possibly without the original sound. It's a video that seems to have been filmed by a Daniel Ahnen, who may have passed away in the Himalayas in May. It shows a hike along a partially collapsed elevated walkway, El Caminito del Rey, which runs between two hydroelectric power stations in Spain.

The walkway is over a century old and suggests the post-apocalyptic. The viewpoint might help visualise this kind of trek in roleplaying, or inspire fictional travel. It makes me think of Risus Monkey's Karst Chantry one-page adventure, but also this approach to roads in an adventure at NetherWerks and this to rivers in another at Servitor Ludi.

_

3 comments:

The Angry Lurker said...

..or the balancing act some who lives a double life musr feel, that's an amazing video.

??? said...

This is nuts: I read the first two lines of your post in my feed reader and I immediately thought Caminito del Rey, without recognising the name or having seen the video lately.

It never gets old, though. Even if I were frivolous enough to try and walk it, I would end up clinging to something half way through - but I love watching other people taking up the challenge.

Porky said...

Amazing is right. I'd never heard of the route before today though and it blew me away. It's not quite free climbing, but it's not far off. I can imagine a natural adaptation to conditions takes over and what looks near-impossible from the desk or sofa feels more feasible in person. That said, I'm not sure how up for it I'd be once there, and I'd certainly be doing my fair share of clinging.