Friday 28 January 2011

Play write

We have a lot to learn from each other. This time roleplaying and writing come together, but wargaming isn't too far behind.

Thanks to Juliette Wade at TalkToYoUniverse I got to read this post at The Character Therapist on developing characters in fiction. I left this comment at Juliette's on how roleplaying games might be able to do the same. Turns out Jaleh D also wrote a post at Ex Libris Draconis on the same subject, and she's looking for more ideas for plot hooks. My suggestions are already there. If you have any, we'll all be the richer for the sharing.

So how is this connected to wargaming? You must know my answer to that by now. It's all about using your imagination, and seeing the miniatures as just that, miniature versions of the individuals they represent. You could start with the latest post at A Gentlemen's Ones. If the Inquisition has space for the individual there's hope for all.

Update: Big Jim at Galaxy in Flames has just put up a link to a past post in which he updates the strategy and mission cards from the second edition of Warhammer 40,000. Lots of ideas for anyone thinking about narrative in the course of a conflict.

5 comments:

The Happy Whisk said...

Good post, Porky. You weaved everyone in, nicely. Eating anything yummy today? I had homemade chicken soup for dinner (lunch), and it was yummy.

Porky said...

We're all in it together after all. At this very moment I'm eating a bowl of pearl barley and root vegetables, fuller in flavour than it might seem if you grate the veg and stew good and long. When I make a soup I also make it to last a couple of days - chicken soup is tasty on the second, that's for sure.

The Happy Whisk said...

Love barley. Grew up eating tons of it. Very good stuff. Also love organic lentils and spinach soup. Lentil stew is good too but I enjoy the soup. Glad you're enjoying your meal. Sounds fantastic.

Not sure if we're going out for supper or eating in, but I haven't prepped anything. Been cleaning the house today.

Bartender said...

I've never tried role plays but when I observe a game the players appear very involved.

Porky said...

I recommend giving it a go if you get the chance. There was a James Bond RPG too - have a read of this. If you ever decide to go for it using a different system, this site has some add-ons that might be useful.