Tuesday 20 November 2012

Then they danced down the streets like dingledodies




I've been lucky enough to receive a blogging award from Frontline Gamer, along with four other blogs. All of them are very deserving of it: it's worth taking a look if you haven't yet.

Like FG, I do have some reservations about the rules, so rather than name the five more blogs I recommend as winners, I'll just say go have a browse through the blogrolls in the left-hand sidebar. Those blogs are my recommendations and they deserve the attention.

But I am also going to suggest a few blogs that probably don't get much attention at all.

When we check a blogroll most of us probably start at the top and work down to the last posts we saw, but beyond are blogs that have been abandoned or gone on hiatus. These can represent years of excellence. And very nearly no one reads now. It's almost painful.

So here are just a few of those, representing various subjects. They're listed in order of period to the last post, longest to shortest. I recommend spending some time with each one, reading a few posts and taking in the wonders, especially if you never knew them.


I am serious - hopefully there's something for everyone in that batch, and there could be days of pleasure and learning just clicks away, benefits of the work those bloggers have put in. And these are just a sample of what's waiting deep in blogrolls all over the place.

The passage in the title is from Jack Kerouac's On the Road, and there's more of it here.
_

3 comments:

Tallgeese said...

Congratulations, Porky! You deserve the recognition!

Sidney Roundwood said...

Porky, there are few deserving of the award more than you! You are the heart of the hobby's free-thinking, and long may you continue to inspire me and many others. I love drifting up and down your side-bar lists. I feel its like browsing a favourite bookshop - I'm in the section I'm familiar with, but I never quite know what I'm going to find. But thank you for those you have chosen. I'm looking forward to working through them all.

Porky said...

Thanks very much to you both - those are kind words.

@ Sidney Roundwood - I love the metaphor. It's more or less what's being aimed at, assuming of course there is a direction to anything that goes up. A starting point and some encouragement to go further.