Monday 14 March 2011

Pink, blue




With the 'hot elf chick' everywhere recently, even this week's EXPANDERS!, more on gender in gaming and other interests. It's the subject of some current or recent posts.

Greg Christopher at Errant has thoughts on magic as an equaliser in games.

Loquacious at World of Wonder looks at women as players, here first, then here.

Juliette Wade at TalkToYoUniverse has a major post on contemporary culture with the title "The Cultural Question of Girls and Princesses, Boys and Battles". This is one that's well worth reading right the way through and mulling over long.

The latest follower here has the name Mary. Not enough battles at the Expanse? If you're reading this, Mary, it's good to have you onboard too. There's no personal site link in your pop-up so please drop me a line or leave a comment here. This is often the case, and finding a new arrival can involve a lot of detective work or plain good luck. Anyone with the same trouble might like to read this post at The Angry Lurker.
.

7 comments:

Paul´s Bods said...

It happens a lot...the avatar shows up but no link..only the sites they have joined...I´ve had one recently (among others) legion games...I know he exists but I can´t link back to his site.
Cheer
Paul

The Angry Lurker said...

I still get this myself and as you said it's a bit of a mission to find them, if they leave a comment you get a link to their profile which sometimes helps if they've even remembered to put their information there.

The Happy Whisk said...

Yeah, so many don't have their links connected. Like Lurker said, some have them on their profile but I wish they'd connect them on their little heads. Can't find 'em. Even put out calls for a few. Nothing.

Loquacious said...

I was really hoping the gender oriented posts would spark more commentary... but I'm committed to finishing the series and then I'll see what strikes my fancy next.

Porky said...

I'm surprised the software doesn't automatically link at least a public blog. It's always a pity because if one blogger likes what another is doing, it could easily be the case in reverse.

@ Loquacious - It's a challenging subject and not everyone might feel up to responding. Hopefully the posts are being read carefully and pondered, and that could come through in stronger contributions later. For me it's mature reflection and there can't be too much of that.

Harald said...

For a good series on chicks in the game, you should read these posts: http://realmofzhu.blogspot.com/search/label/female%20armour

Porky said...

Thanks for the link. Insightful posts and refreshing. I'll be following.