Sunday 19 June 2011

Beer on Mars and gateway words

Great lines in classic sci-fi, some wonderful pulp weirdness and even Leslie Nielsen. The scene comes from Tales of Tomorrow, an important US TV series from the early 1950s.

There's a d20 table under the vid, a small transformative homage to the show, the genre and the doorways to adventure hidden in everyday language; for loaded game moments.




     Gateway words (d20)
  1. So this is x.
  2. I'm disappointed.
  3. I expected something different.
  4. It's just that...
  5. It's kinda strange...
  6. ... that's all.
  7. Nothing here.
  8. There are no y.
  9. Why not?
  10. That's what I'd like to know.
  11. You can't expect to find z.
  12. No, you don't understand me.
  13. Look.
  14. Now take a look at this.
  15. What are you driving at?
  16. There's nothing.
  17. Only the barrenness...
  18. ...and the howling wind.
  19. It's weird.
  20. Makes me feel kinda funny.

If you liked that, there's weird science fantasy at ix, Swords & Stitchery, Spaceswords & Glory, Ancient Astronauts, Dreams in the Lich House and From the Sorcerer's Skull, not to mention in the NetherWerks realm, especially NetherWerks, Zalchis and Riskail.

And in plenty of other places too I'll bet. Where else can we get that vibe?
_

3 comments:

christian said...

Makes me feel kinda funny.

I feel the same way about every day life. ;)
The other day I posted a planet I had written for Traveller a long time ago and I was going for the same vibe - windswept, desolate and prone to making someone go cuckoo if they didn't have something to distract them.

Have a great day!

Bartender said...

Don't call me Shirly!

Porky said...

@ christian - I missed that post, but I'll be over to find it. Your output's been incredible recently.

@ Bartender - Roger, over.