Friday 13 May 2011

We're back, almost

Things are up and running again, superficially at least, but there's posted material still missing. I'm assuming Blogger has this somewhere and will be restoring it soon.

If you're not sure what's going on, neither are most of us; Blogger has been read-only for the best part of the last day, with surprisingly little information forthcoming.

An argument for looking into Wordpress, or even a personal domain and hosting? Free service or not, there are options, and the paid options needn't be expensive.

In the meantime, the posting schedule here is out. If this has published and all looks stable, I'll start catching up.

Update: I have my missing posts back. There was one problem I could see, the addition of some odd characters to the labels. I deleted these, but when I published the changes the posts became the latest, as if published for the first time, and comments were lost.

Update: I've just found another post lurking unpublished in the editor which I'm fairly confident I had actually published; now it's up for sure. Worth having a rummage.
_

12 comments:

Ray Rousell said...

Woo Hoo!! That was certainly a long time out. Let's hope it wasn't the same hackers who broke into the PS3 system!!!

Porky said...

Hello again! It's even better to hear from you than usual.

Who knows what might happen next? Get backing up I say, and it never hurts to have a plan B.

Sidney Roundwood said...

Good to hear from you Porky! And I had such high hopes for doing a blogpost today in my lunch hour as well! Tomorrow might be looking better for posting until things get sorted out. But great you're back anyway!

Porky said...

Good to hear from you too! It was a little inconvenient, that's true, though refreshing at least to channel the energies into other things. But there's even more in the posting queue now..! I feel most sorry for anyone running a business through their blog, especially if high turnover or the main source of income.

Paul´s Bods said...

We´re all still here!!! :-D had to happen on friday the 13th eh?? :-D
I´ve redone my lost post manually so they can jump as far as I´m concerned. Some people are reporting loss of all thier followers !!
They keep screwing up and if it happens like that again I´m off somewhere else.
Mind you..shouldn´t really complain...it is free.;-D
Cheers
paul

Porky said...

When I noticed the date I did a double take..! One of the delayed posts is on the subject, but I hadn't made the connection with the day of the week.

If we're looking at causes, it's not supposed to have been the new user interface, but it seems reasonable there'd be a link of some kind.

Fingers crossed on us all getting the losses back, for anyone without the originals. I often make changes in the editor so I'd have to redo a part of mine.

The Angry Lurker said...

Back again bloggers but the break wasn't too bad, good to see you back.

C'nor (Outermost_Toe) said...

They said temporary...

Porky said...

@ The Angry Lurker - You too. The bright side's the right side. It did almost feel a holiday.

@ C'nor (Outermost_Toe) - They probably meant not permanent. Not yet anyway...

The Happy Whisk said...

I didn't mind the break because I'd been goofing off the last two days. And today, I got my stuff done in the kitchen.

Glad to see everyone back. It's funny. A day or two away from blogging, really isn't long, but in blogger terms it is.

Or if someone goes away for a week, it's like they've been on holiday. Funny stuff.

Anyway, weeee'reee baaaack.

C'nor (Outermost_Toe) said...

I'm not sure what you mean, but I was talking about post loss.

Porky said...

@ The Happy Whisk - You're right. If anyone's a few days away I even start to worry..! It's like a family reunion today.

Maybe Tim or Wiggy pulled the plug? Thinking of all that good food you'd conjure up...

@ C'nor (Outermost_Toe) - I guessed you meant the time down, but I was just teasing, that it could have been worse - I had Friday the thirteenth and Flash Fearsday on the mind when I wrote it, and everything seem filled with portent.